Tuesday, April 21, 2009

About Me

Hi, my name is Laura. I am 22 years old, and am nearly finished my third year of my Bachelor of Nursing program in Canada. I live at home with my parents, my sisters, and my two year old dog. Nursing has definitely been an awesome experience so far, with lots of intense studying and crazy clinical experiences. I find it rewarding but extremely challenging. I am much better at exams than I am practical, so I have to work really hard when learning hands-on skills. In a few weeks, I will start an eight week preceptorship program in a thoracic surgery unit, and I am really excited but also really nervous...especially when it comes to dealing with chest tubes.
A lot of people ask me why I choose nursing, and wonder if I will do a medicine degree sometime in the future. However, I believe nursing is a unique and independent health care profession that is lacking respect and the recognition it deserves. I love meeting new people, taking care of complex patients and interacting with other staff.
This blog with chronicle all my clinical and nursing school experiences prior to my graduation. My hope is that all potential nursing students will have a greater understanding about what nursing is really about, because it really is more than making beds and changing bedpans. I hope that other nursing students and registered nurses can share their experiences with me as well. Please leave lots of comments and give me lots of feedback.
-Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you! All your comments are really appreciated.